Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Thank God for Uniqlo!

I came to Korea last March 4, 2012 unprepared for the weather. I had this wrong impression that spring is warmer and a little heavier jackets or maybe even layering will do. Though I did check the weather at some point, I thought it will be manageable. Coming from a tropical country, I have never been so wrong. I had to endure a full week before I managed to get two decent jackets more suitable for the cold, dry weather. Some of the locals did comment that it will get warmer but I have realized that so far, this was very relative - relative to the sub-zero temperature they had just a few weeks prior to my arrival.

Good thing the business trip to China last June 2011, introduced me to Uniqlo and what they usually sell. So when I went looking for "winter/spring" clothes, I made it my first stop. There is one just one subway station away from where my apartment is at Sunae Station's Lotte Department Store. And because of the changing season, I managed to score some sale items. I am still trying to build my wardrobe though (read: thermals) as I always end up a little short on cash during weekends. Uniqlo's everywhere and I have really come to appreciate it. I was not sold on it while I was in China. I thought they were too simple for my taste. Now, I realize, they carry the basics at a good price and decent quality. They have some cute items too but it would be wrong to compare Uniqlo with F21. I kind of think it's more of a lower-end M&S.

I can't help but wonder how the store would fare though when it opens its doors in my home country this June at MOA.

No comments: