Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 14

I finally have the whole weekend for myself. It's almost Sunday and yet I feel pressed for time already. I still have a long way of adjusting to life here which I guess in a way is good as it keeps me busy and preoccupied thereby taking my mind off being sad, bored and homesick.

Today's agenda was mainly grocery and then to scout the area where there is an English Catholic service. The two potential locations I identified were unfortunately in the Seoul area which meant more than 30 minutes of travel/commute for me. Supposedly, there's an English Mass at Catholic International Parish of Seoul at 9am and 11am. However, I found it easier to look for subway directions for  Myeong-dong Cathedral. Given that the language barrier is a huge obstacle for me, I thought it's best if I travel by MRT first before exploring the bus routes. Google maps did point me out the bus numbers but I don't have the confidence right now to try them yet. I think it's better I become familiar with the destination first before I try that form of public transportation.

To get around, aside from the directions I got from the internet, a picture of the seoul MRT subway lines (especially the ones I need to transfer on), I knew I had to get myself that T-money. I've become a mute person here and avoid talking outside. Apparently, some people can understand me so maybe I should talk more. Anyway, I managed to get my T-money at a mini-stop outside of AK plaza at 2,500 Won. I just looked for a sign that said T-money. I then loaded it with cash value at one of the loading machines at the Seohyeon station. Thank God they have English instructions and they also print receipts! Apparently, T-money has this transfer system so you don't really have to pay the fare each time you get on and off a subway or an MRT. The amount supposedly is more or less based on the distance traveled. That being the case, I just might try taking the subway to Moran station and then the 55-1 bus on Monday to see how much that would cost me. Currently, it costs me 1000+ to get to work for around 40 minutes or more. Hopefully, it won't cost that much but shorten the travel time considerably. But I'll have to consider the fact that I'll most probably be standing during the whole commute.

T-money
I managed to get to Myeong-dong after two transfers and about 1 hr and 30 minutes. Yes, it was that long given that I was very cautious on the directions. Re-reading the signs and the maps several times to make sure I was going the right way. I knew that I was getting closer to Seoul as more foreigners came into view on the subway station. At Myeong-dong, I guess you could say that I finally got a glimpse of Seoul, a commercial one that is. Myeong-dong has a good mix of local, foreign and tiangge stands. Uniqlo(~4 floors), Zara, Forever21(~4 floors), H&M(~4 floors), Face Shop, Etude House, Tony Molly, Skin Food, Body shop, Watsons, Crocs, Guess, Giordano, Gap, Nature Republic, Foot Locker, Polo Ralph Lauren, are probably just a few of the many shops there. I also saw Starbucks, CBTL, and Pizza Hut during my quick walk in the area. It can be compared to Hong Kong somewhat but there's still somewhat a different feel and vibe between the two. I decided to check out H&M and Forever 21 as those were the ones that I am not sure were within the Bundang area. Face Shop, Etude House, Tony Molly and Skin Food you can see just about anywhere (and maybe Olive Young).


a glimpse of Seoul

It was hard to miss the Cathedral as long as you are paying attention to the directions and your immediate surroundings. The Church is beautiful and different both inside and outside than the ones that I am used to in the Philippines (mostly Spanish-inspired). I have to sleep now so hopefully I get to hear Mass tomorrow morning at 9am. Next time I will try taking the bus for more sight-seeing opportunities.
I loved the weather today by the way. It was relatively warmer but still cold enough even after all the walking in the crowded subway and streets.

Time to rest. today was tiring after all that walking, commuting, carrying groceries, eating late and "ironing". Dang, it's hard and it didn't look my clothes got ironed at all... such a pain. It's one of those things I know I have to learn and improve on but I honestly would rather not. I'd prefer "cleaning" than pressing I think especially since I have to do it on the floor. (the board is merely a foot above ground) This makes the need to keep the place especially the floor clean all the more pronounced.

No comments: