Thursday, March 08, 2012

Day 5


So it's been 5 days since I last left the comforts of home. It's been an overwhelming learning experience so far. Compared to the 4 months of stay in the US, it was one heck of a walk in the park. This is the real thing. It's more than just a challenge at work but living alone outside my comfort zone. We were not particularly well-off but now I realize my life has been pretty darn easy. I was pretty pampered and sheltered. Compared to what I have and experiencing so far, I was quite spoiled. I don't know if it's a good comparison, but I guess ganito pala ang typical OFW. My other colleagues don't probably qualify as they earn a lot but my measly allowance has to be squeezed to the very last drop to cover the higher cost of living, expenses for the bare apartment, the lack of appropriate clothing for this darn cold weather and the personal costs of meeting with friends whether here or at home. Yes, I need to plan those as early as now if I want to stretch my allowance otherwise I'd end up not saving anything. I can't say it's a good thing because I am having a hard time with the budget and all but that condo purchase adds to this whole experience. And now I learn that the ipad is out... But I might have to save up for a wireless router or a mobile internet...

How can I forget that the language barrier is also a struggle. Step by step I am finding my way around... Hopefully, I discover more and learn the language. I have a whole year of learning experience ahead of me... The people here appear to have really nice, almost flawless skin and somewhat fashionable. I see a lot pretty girls too, I do feel insecure.

Tomorrow, we head to site. Another new thing. So we'll see how that goes.

Hopefully, I get to shop this weekend for winter clothes because I am literally shaking and freezing during my commute or even just going out for lunch. Besides that I have a lot of chores ahead of me both work and non-work. Yes, this is LIFE!

Sidenote: I am happy to have found stores/fastfoods I know in the area though: KFC, Burger King, Subway... whew... If only I can stand the weather I can walk around some more. My heels and the backup together with the weather are too much to handle at times.

burger king and kfc on the opposite side of AK Plaza (at least the one nearest me).

No comments: