Thursday, September 12, 2013

Definitely Asian

My nationality has been deceiving and locals from neighboring countries tend to think of me as a local and automatically speak to me in their local language. If I keep my mouth shut chances are they would assume I'm either:
1. Chinese - while in Shanghai
2. Korean - while in South Korea
3. Chinese, or Japanese - while in Myeongdong (Seoul). Sales ladies would call my attention in Korean, then Chinese, then Japanese if I don't acknowledge them. The last thing they'd do would be to speak in English although they have this natural aversion to the language.
4. Chinese/Thai in other SouthEast Asian countries
5. Korean - at the airport when flying Korean Air
6. Singaporean - in Manila just because my co-instructor was Singaporean.

Definitely Asian but more east asian than SouthEast probably. Coupled with a few compliments I am really flattered and thankful. They give me the confidence boost that I somewhat need considering the insecurities I've had to deal with in the past weeks... :)

No comments: