Monday, October 11, 2010

10.10.10

so while others decided to make 10.10.10 all the more memorable by marrying their special someone or participating in civic-related activities, my brother and I decided to participate in HSBC's promo.

to kick off my day, I finally jogged again with my sister at the UP Acad Oval. I just love jogging there especially on Sundays when all four lanes are open for joggers and bikers. We didn't last though so after a little over an hour we found ourselves in Mcdo frontera verde eating breakfast. ZCM was about to get another car wash at Big Bert's since we were already in the area after trying to convince my sister. But the queue was long and I couldn't get my sister to wait any longer so we left and headed home anyway. On one hand, I was also anxious to find out whether or not I won my first ever Ebay bid. Whether or not it was a successful transaction remains to be seen when my friend gets the item on my behalf...  This venture deserves another entry altogether. Obviously, at this point, I've already forgotten the HSBC promo I was looking forward to if not for a text from a friend. When I tuned in, it was already too late as apparently it was only for an hour and it already takes around 10 minutes just to get to the main roads from where we're at. But the catch amongst all these is that one of the participating stations was at J. Vargas! It's just about 500 meters or less from where Big Bert's is! If I had gotten the car wash, I would have probably been able to gas up at Caltex for just 10/liter. never mind that I almost never gas up at Caltex and I have consumed more or less just 15 liters (max is 30 liters). It's a pity but not one of those things you'd feel too bad for a long time.

flashback the night before, my brother's GRP fuel indicator is flashing. He doesn't have much cash so he'll just gas up with what he can spare, 100. I chipped in an extra 100 but of course it didn't do much. What am I getting at here? Well, obviously my brother who is still a student doesn't have much cash to spare to allow him to get a full tank considering that his card has expired and he's yet to receive its replacement.

When he wakes up and finds out how true the promo is, he figures he needs it. I was not feeling well enough even to drive a stick so I just went along with him to lend him my card. thanks to twitter we got a tip on one of the sites. It seems many people still underestimate the power of twitter but heck, it's real time and word sure spreads fast! Actually, I think we were also just darn resourceful because there was just only three tweets that said something about the station being a potential promo site. I think we got there an hour before it was set to kick off and boy it was craazy out there. I kind of feel for the organizers who had to deal with the added pressure of the news leakage. It was fun though. We didn't get into too much trouble for nothing and though we had to wait for almost two hours, GRP got its taste of a full tank. 39 liters of Caltex Gold for just 700+. And since its caltex and HSBC you still get a rebate. Cool huh? even though I am not the one who benefited from the cheap gasoline, I am having second thoughts at giving up my HSBC. Those kinds of promos make you think twice.

Now I wonder, what's in store for citibank cardholders? I am not one yet but it seems like it's a race for enticing promos and freebies among the different credit card companies. I am pretty sure it was an effective campaign for HSBC considering the stations they chose are "strategic" areas if you consider the demographics and it's probably a matter of time when one of the other credit card companies launches their own gimmick. I hope BPI comes up with a good one though. But as much as I hate to say it although I am not liking the "perks" from BPI so far, I would probably stick with them though... if they grant my application once  I decide to get a skymiles card...

No comments: