Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Remembering Ondoy

A lot of Filipinos will never forget Ondoy. It was one of those calamities that placed the Philippines in the global news channels' headlines. Flooding is not uncommon to the Philippines given that typhoons come and go in the country especially during the rainy season. It's not always bright and sunny in the tropics: there's the dry season and the wet season. However, back in 2009 Ondoy dropped a ton of rainwater in the metro than what it's clogged estero's, rivers, drainage systems and shallow lakes could handle. Even those not normally affected by the flooding were taken by surprise. It seemed that everything happened so fast even before people realized what was happening. Our family was one of them.

It, however, was altogether a different story for me. I was on the other side of the globe and though I saw some friends tweets of how heavy the downpour was, it didn't occur to me the damage and the effect it would have to our family. While everyone was struggling to salvage what they can, to stay alive and pray for safety, I was out buying some boots from San Marcos outlets and sight-seeing in San Antonio. It was not until I got back in the apartment later in the day when I was able to hear news of the status of our family/everyone else/Metro. I don't remember being devastated yet at that time although the anxiety and worry was way too high. It was not until the next day after a long drive to Houston that I was able to talk to my mom and hear the sad news/status. Helpless. that's basically my side of the story. You can't help but feel guilty of not sharing the hardship and experience with them. You think about what you can do to help, how they can rely on you as an additional helping hand instead of being out enjoying. Though you try to do your part in whatever way you can, communicating to relatives, providing directions, augmenting financially, you somehow know that you missed out.


There went my car. You can see the roof because it was floating. No one got the chance to drain its battery. (It's been revived and working now though.)

I guess you could also say that we were just not used to these kind of stuff so it was a challenge for us. Filipinos being resilient and all, we managed to pull through. It was a wake up call for everyone I guess - to turn around the bad into something good. It could have been worse, but it wasn't. Bulacan, who's been badly affected by this past weather disturbances will also get up, just you wait. Maybe not as good and quick as how Japan does it but in our way, they, scratch that, we will.

A lot of Filipinos may have been forever marked by the experience, wounded probably but moving forward definitely. I may not be able to lay claim on what happened or relate in its entirety considering that I somehow until now feel an outsider looking in, having second-hand experiences about the whole thing but in my own way as would probably other OFWs out there probably always feel, it was also trying. Try wanting and wishing and wanting to take someone else's place just to save them from the pain, suffering and the hardship and not being able to do anything.

Is the world ending? Maybe, maybe not. Amidst all these calamities and other disturbances I guess we need to be reminded to take every opportunity we can to do and experience what is important, to love, to cherish, to live.

No comments: