Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween fan... NOT!

"What you don't know can't hurt you." When it comes to spooky/creepy stuff I abide by this saying. I get so scared easily and my imagination runs wild that it haunts me everywhere I go most especially when I find myself alone. I rarely sleep with the lights out not unless I have company. You can just imagine the ordeal I had to go through and the courage I had to muster while living alone in a 2 bedroom vacation rental in Anna Maria island. Almost all lights were turned on including the LCD tv. It was certainly not an environment/power-friendly way of living but I couldn't bear it otherwise. I have watched none of those scary movies: paranormal activity, the ring, etc. My threshold is that low I guess that innocence is my weapon. That said you could say I am not really a halloween fan. Add the fact that I'm not one of those who goes out to dress up for the halloween parties.

Spending halloween in Austin back in 2009 was different and fun however. While 6th street was normally closed, it was as if almost everyone converged in the streets garbed in/parading their costumes. Of course, there were others like us who just came to see/observe and share in the "festivities". The costume party was not limited in the confines of the clubs/bars. Others were probably content to show off to everyone else their costumes and happily obliged for some photo op. While some were cute (the costumes/the wearer) others were creepy and scary. One was shocking in a perverse way we couldn't post it anywhere. (we took a picture just the same haha).

6th street revelry. good/fun kind of spooky.
We tried to get in one of the bars despite the fact that instead of queues people were funneling into the door. You get squeezed and pushed into the front. A white guy vouched for us at the door and then we were in. Then came halloween's real culture shock. We had fun but I guess we didn't expect that those things you see in tv do actually happen. Given our conservative background, people making out here and there (more than that it seems) was a shock definitely. It was late when we managed to get in, around 1am, but we were in for a treat as just when the bar was supposed to close (they close at 2), it was time for the DST fall back! Everyone was ecstatic of course! One hour extra more to party. Overall we had fun and just enjoyed the night the way we know and do it. Never mind the couple behind us making out by the trash bin. :D
check out the police in horses and the 6th street crowd!

No comments: