Wednesday, October 12, 2011

6 months and counting...

Several days ago marks the 6th month I've been clean. A few days ago, I had this twitter conversation with some of my friends: one who just joined the club and started to come clean and the other who's still hooked. No, I'm not talking about any drugs or such. It's a different kind of addiction, it's one you call social networking: facebook specifically.

Here are some bits and pieces from our twitter conversation:
-"too much trash info, things I don't want to read are popping out of nowhere"
and the rebuttal is simple actually: "declutter"
-"maganda na din na di alam ng maraming tao kung anong nangyayari sa akin... parang talk to me NOT watch my life"
-"I just found myself hooked to watching other people's lives when I should be minding my own, it's liberating db?"
-(my 10 cents) "it's a tool for self-absorption and stalking"
-"Sometimes you just have to be detached and stick to people that matter..."
-"it creates an idea that you need to know other people's lives..."
-"Those who matter knows. Those who don't, don't have to."

I guess we were one of those who misused and abused facebook and became facebook dependents such that the only way to regulate its use is by complete detachment either by deletion or the more subtle one: deactivation. Good thing they have that option. I, however, would like to think that we are not alone in this though. From an april fool's joke, to a form of penance, to abstinence from hearsay and gossip, to avoiding people and therefore from aggravating a bad situation, my reasons have evolved to what it is now. It's all those and then some. My friend was right, it is a liberating experience. Do I feel out of place/outsider? Yes, sometimes but not so much. Do I miss it? Not really. Does it get me when I'm branded as anti-social because of this? Yes a little. It's probably the only reason why I have not deleted it altogether. I am actually contemplating it if only as a read-only account that I can share to anyone especially foreign colleagues/professional contacts who'd like to keep in touch somehow. I am in no hurry though. I'm good.

They say too much of something is bad for your health. Before you fall into the pit of extreme stalking, of extreme showing off and being too self-absorbed to have to share everything whether in words or in pictures, stop. Slow down before you get hooked. It has its pros and cons but for me the cons still outweigh the pros. Thank goodness for twitter - made 'quitting' bearable and easier.

No comments: