Saturday, March 22, 2014

Kitchen adventures

I nearly went into a road-rage frenzy earlier this evening due to a stupid bus who don't care if he's going to ram to your vehicle. Of course you don't want that so even if you have the right of way you risk cutting the next lane to yours hoping that they'd give way to you as well. You can't help but get extremely hot-headed in situations such as this but one thought crossed my mind and I couldn't help but immediately calm down: today is a blessing. No matter how much we look and plan to the future we don't own anything and we might as well be gone in an instant. The message from the movie have so far that much impact on me. I don't think it's bad at all and I hope it becomes a habit so life would be happier and better, a life well-lived. With that said, I decided to push through with my kitchen adventures this evening.

I'm not exactly talented when it comes to cooking or anything to do with the kitchen. The most I'm comfortable with doing would be peeling off vegetables and washing the dishes but even those I am very much mediocre. I like eating better but not to the point that I can tell what taste or ingredient is missing in the dish to make it better. I have more misadventures and failures than valid successes. The best I came up with was mere edible for me and I'd rather not let others try it. I need more practice. I tried a new dish today though. No cooking involved here actually and just preparation but still I'm happy to have tried it. Can you guess what?


No, it's not kimchi although I wanted to until I found out that I needed to soak the 'napa cabbage' for 1-2 hours in brine. Maybe this weekend I will give that a try as well. Anyway, it's called Kkakdugi or Korean radish kimchi. I wasn't a fan of our local radish despite the fact that compared to most people I love eating vegetables. It was in Korea where I became addicted to this (the general taste of kimchi was an acquired taste that I thoroughly enjoy). I decided to try this dish first because kimchi is easier to come by in asian restaurants and I've rarely seen this one. Anyway, my sister shares my love of kimchi so she ended up eating than sampling the finished dish. I will let it ferment for a few days and hopefully good enough to share with my dad as well. This gives me the motivation to keep on practicing. Yay! Hopefully, I will improve and get better now that the interest has started.




No comments: