Saturday, March 15, 2014

About Time

The good thing about spending the weekend in this sleepy town without my own transportation is that it lets me catch up on some of the shows I missed. I usually don't watch any tv at home and I usually catch movies at the theater so if I miss it, I would end up not watching it until I've forgotten all about it or unless I find myself sitting still when the family happens to watch anything interesting which is rare.

The last weekend I was here, I finally got the chance to watch Silver Linings which was by the way so good. The big plus would be that Bradley Cooper was a joy to watch in that movie. He was good in character but still good-looking and just damn gorgeous!

This weekend, after much and several convincing from the sister, I finally watched About Time. I had no idea about this movie nor have I heard of it. All I remember was this was the name of the short stay cottage I got back in Anna Maria Island in Florida last 2009.


Apparently, the British movie was about time travel but the approach was less like "The Time Traveler's Wife" although Rachel McAdams was again the leading lady here but probably more like "Love Actually". I'm quite impatient and have a short attention span so I ended up googling the synopsis at the start. The synopsis was just ok but it didn't prepare me for the emotions that you'd get out of watching it. Good thing I still watched it anyway after reading (it eventually got a little interesting...).  It would probably have helped if I knew who the actor was or if he was distractingly handsome as say Bradley Cooper or Joseph Gordon Levitt.
image from IMDB
At the some point in the movie, the tears started and it wouldn't stop flowing way after the movie has already ended. My eyes still hurt a bit as I write this. It was crying of the good kind of way because it was in no way the pessimistic view of things but the optimistic one. 


I love the message of the movie in that it is a reminder really, for us to not let the stress and worries of our daily lives get the better of us and stop us from enjoying. I agree with the writers in that there would probably be a huge difference in our lives and other people's lives that constantly intersect with ours if we just take it easy and everything in stride. Of course, there are really bad days but if we start thinking that there won't be another day and a future way ahead, it probably won't be as bad. It doesn't mean we should be reckless as well. I guess it's trying to live our lives without regret.

Not to be a spoiler but according to the movie the secret Formula for Happines:
"Part 1 of the two-part formula: get on with ordinary life, living it day by day just like everyone else.
Part 2 live everyday again, almost exactly the same. the first one with all the tensions and worries that stop us from noticing how sweet the world can be but the second time, noticing."
Of course, this was possible because the protagonist could time travel. Instead of travelling back in time to remove inconveniences or make corrections in his life, this was the advice he was given in order to make better use of their gift. But the final lesson is something we all can relate to:

"I just try to live everyday as if I've deliberately come back to this one day to enjoy it, as if it was the full final day of my extraordinary ordinary life."

In the end, I don't really mind who the actors were. I just love the reminders from this movie. I'm so glad my sister bugged me to watch it. I also love the version of "How Long Will I Love You?" by Jon Boden, Sam Sweeney and Ben Coleman in the movie.
  

No comments: