Monday, February 03, 2014

Wicked

I am not a theater goer. I am not cultured enough or of high society to be up to date with these things. In fact, I've only watched two shows: Cats and Wicked. Three if you count Cirque du Soleil's 'Varekai' which was also amazing by the way.


I got to watch the Manila-run of Cats with none other than Ms. Lea Salonga because of the cheap tickets my mom scored. That was my introduction to the wonderful and amazing world of musical/theater productions. And I must say, wow! These shows are amazing, the talent, the storyline, the props, songs, everything, basically how all these different elements come together.

Fast forward to 2012, while I was mending a broken heart, I met these really great people who was up for adventures. To make the long story short we ended up spending a short day at the emerald city during this mid-August holiday. I was brimming with emotions. It was awesome, amazing, great, wicked! It was too much of an emotional and sensory high for me. We were seated way at the back (since it was a bit unplanned and spur of the moment, we didn't have much choice for good seats at good deals) but boy I loved it just the same. After that, I wanted to watch it again to the point that I was willing to shell out more money... But well, that didn't push through. Nonetheless, I was more than happy to have watched it with amazing friends/family back in Seoul. That experience was among the best.




Feb. 2, 2014: as this day drew nearer the excitement just got harder and harder to contain. I got better seats and I got my sister and another girl friend to share this experience with me. This time around I was reliving the whole show, reminiscing and anticipating. All the time I was giddy and full of emotions. The tension was especially too great as it got nearer to 'Defying Gravity', so much so that I had to channel my energy to something which ended up to be my scrunchie. (I would have held hands if there's someone who had offered but alas there was none! :P) Of course, having watched Frozen, I was introduced to Idina Menzel who gave life to Elphaba, I made a few comparisons. Maybe it was a little weak and I was trying to imagine if it was the 'Idina Menzel' who sang that part, I would have probably cried. Yes cried and not just teared up. But I got to appreciate Suzie Mathers as Glinda more. She was refreshing to watch (and listen to but so was everyone).




I had a really great time. So happy to have been able to watch this again. I would watch it again if I could afford it, had the time and someone would watch it with me (and of course if there are tickets left). I am just happy and content  that I was able to move around my schedule to be able to make it to this show. Until next time!

No comments: