Monday, January 20, 2014

Don't ask

There's an unwritten rule that you just don't ask women
A. Their weight
B. their age

Most women are sensitive as either A or B or both increases. Many may be offended but oftentimes as the numbers get higher they evade the question some more and in some cases may lie about it. It may be shallow or due to insecurity but it is also in part due to societal constructs and norms.

At my age, there are a few other questions that are starting to get to me/my friends:
C. Why are you still single?
D. When are you getting married?
E. When are you going to have a baby?

Honestly, I am still fine as it is and if it weren't for the number and what most people that I share the same number with are now doing, I don't feel old at all. But somehow, it's like I now have this ticking clock about to explode anytime that is trying to kick me out of my youthful existence (starting from the way I dress). Sure, I know there's something I'm missing but what can I do? For many of us, it's not like we don't exactly want to (many feminists would probably be shaking their heads) get into a relationship or get married, or have a baby. We also do but sometimes, even the answer escapes us but that doesn't keep us from living and loving life. For fear of the judgement, I'd rather avoid than address the question. Ultimately everyone comes up to the conclusion that it is all my fault and there's something wrong with me (i.e. I am too choosy or whatever.)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not your fault my friend! Let them ask for it means they find you interesting! You're not a position paper that has a deadline nor a food with a best before. Live your life the way you see how it must be lived. Be afraid only of one thing, a life that is not yours to live!