Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Way back into love

... Of reading.
Well, I wouldn't really claim to be a wide or avid reader as opposed to some who probably get to digest books at the average of 3+ per week but I guess I try to read from time to time...
It hasn't been the case lately. I took a break from both reading and watching koreanovelas/jdramas in favor of apps galore. It has not stopped me from buying books though. So now, I have 6 books bought as early as july last year which I have yet to read.
I think I am finally making some progress though as I finished two already as of this writing and getting ready to start the hunger games trilogy. (yes, finally!) It took me quite a while to get to finish Love in the time of Cholera but I finally managed to do so after prolly a month or so. Don't get me wrong it's not that the book isn't that good, it actually was. I guess my attention span has just deteriorated so much that genre is not really working for me anymore. So it will be a challenge to finish Zahir (which I actually postponed) lest it be cast together with foucault's pendulum, the curious incident of the dog in the night-time, the god of small things among other unfinished-save for whenever ones.
Meanwhile, I find The Emperor's Tomb quite enjoyable in a Dan Brown kind of way. I'm actually lining up his other books on my reading list. Will buy The Jefferson Key as soon as I finish up the books of 2011.
For the most part though, 2011 was a year of YA books. It started with the twilight series some years back, followed by artemis fowl, then percy jackson now there's of course hunger games, incarceron (+sapphique), divergent, mortal instruments... Harry potter is still in the list though and maybe a series of unfortunate events. Given the state of my attention span , looks like YA books are going to be a mainstay in my list.
I guess you can also say this rediscovered love of reading is partly due to the growing fondness for hardbound books with dreams of having a library to store them in, in the future. Given the money, i'd probably buy more but I still have to work on actually reading them. That said I managed to restrain myself from buying those half-priced hardbound YA books on sale at powerbooks. Whew! BUT Donations are welcome especially jimmy liao's which I recently grew to like/appreciate as well. :)

No comments: