Monday, January 09, 2012

custom ringtones on iOS 5

Since, upgrading to iOS 5, I lost my custom ringtones. It was ok and I didn't really bother trying to figure out how to get them back until more and more people in my work was using the same ringtone which confused me. So after reading several forum entries and losing my music which I don't really back up, I finally found a way to access my custom ringtones again on my phone. This is what worked for me given that:
1. I manually manage music and videos
2. My tones are of course not synced. (unchecked)

In both my Itunes library and devices, I deleted all my tones (bell icon) - they are not purchased anyway. I just use those free apps to make my own (mostly mp3 extracts). From my windows folder where i kept my *.m4r files, I dragged them into the Tones section of my Itunes library. I manually unchecked each and everyone of them. Afterwards, I dragged them to the Iphone under devices (the whole thing and not the tones section with the bell icon). Doing so, will prevent the tones from showing up with a sync icon beside them. Leaving them checked in the library will prevent them from showing up in the Settings>Sounds>ringtones of the phone unless you "sync tones". This will of course wipe out your music and videos. Now, I can select and use the custom ringtones from Settings>Sounds>Ringtones! And I won't have to mistakenly pick up my phone due to similar ringtones. ^_^

No comments: