Thursday, January 19, 2012

Congratulations!

The wait is over for my sister and as it turns out, she passed all three entrance exams she took. The transfer to another more expensive school and the review center paid off. I should say it was probably more than worth it considering... She effectively has erased our doubts and hesitations on her mental capacity to get into what we think to be prestigious schools.
Back in my days, the agony of waiting as the results came out was prolonged. The start of a new year meant one result per month. To me the one that mattered was the middle one (making the last anti-climactic). Nowadays, it's as if the competition for students is that fierce as one result came out after the other in what seemed like a span of just two weeks.
For me though, I knew which school I wanted not to mention we could afford. So it was a proud decision for me to be the first in the immediate clan to get and study in that school. Of course, this was met by a strong opposition coming from my mother. She was still under the 1970's/1980's spell of student activism during the martial law days. None of that is gone but to a certain degree apathy exists especially in the college I ended up in. In the end, I prevailed and from then on our family's eyes was opened to the joy of getting in the university. Of course, it can either make or break you given the whole range of options, freedom, etc available to you. It is a microscopic Philippine society I think. Nonetheless, so far so good. My and probably my brother's best years and most memorable ones were in college. The years that followed shared with college friends were also noteworthy.
So to my sister, whether or not you stick it out in the same college as ours,congratulations on getting in. I hope it defines you and NOT break you. Enjoy UP!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grabe naman kayo- "... our doubts and hesitations on her mental capacity to get into what we think to be prestigious schools. "