Monday, January 18, 2016

How to ask if someone is engaged


It's about 3 weeks or 20 days since a certain Jedi placed a little something on my left ring finger and though I have not worn rings for the longest time ever (I've never worn my college ring.), I am getting used to it. It's also been quite a journey to getting married and planning a wedding which I should probably try to document as well. 
The first couple of days since I came back to base, I think I was a little self-conscious about it such that sometimes it felt like I was bragging the ring and waving it into the air. Not that I'm not proud, sometimes, I'm really just a wallflower and just want to blend in or stay low-key. Besides I wasn't sure if it was still natural the gestures that I was making. Of course, it can't be helped and the rock became the center of attention. 
Besides, my boss who I directly made the announcement, the rest of my colleagues who noticed had different ways of asking. Obvious ones were:
"Did you get engaged?"
To
"What is that on your finger?" To which I smilingly replied, "It's a ring." :)
The most interesting one was:
"miss joyce, I notice that you have a new hardware on your finger." There was nothing else to say on this one but to say "I got engaged over the holidays!" Talk about being in the (pre-dominantly male) engineering industry. :)
Thank you for putting a ring on it or should I say a new hardware, Mr. P.

No comments: