Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Bicol 2013: Day 1 - Bulusan + Irosin

Sometime last year I blogged about my 2013 summer adventures. It's summer time once again in my beloved country and though I don't really have any plans considering that I'm mostly out of the country I thought I'd finally get down to sharing our Bicol itinerary. As I mentioned in my old post, blog entries have been very helpful in order for me to arrange our DIY Bicol trip. Since my other entries particularly the Calaguas one are not of much help, I hope this one would be more informative.

My mom and sister haven't been to Bicol but I've been there twice. The first time I went to explore the region I was able to enjoy: CWC, Mt. Isarog and Caramoan, Camarines Sur. The second time was spent beach-bumming in Calaguas and "surfing" in Bagasbas, Camarines Norte. I had to scour around the cyberworld for ideas that would take me to new places since I knew that there's still so much to discover in Bicol. The next popular ones left were the Butanding experience and the Legazpi ATV tours. I felt that it was lacking the beach experience that Bicol is known for so after some researching I finally ended up with the following Sorsogon+Albay combination:

Day 1: Bulusan Lake + Irosin
Day 2: Matnog Beach tour
Day 3: Legazpi City Tour: Cagsawa Ruins, Lignon Hill and ATV adventure

I had to give up the whole whale shark experience because we were on a tight schedule and on a budget. We originally intended to travel by land the whole time (minimum of 8hrs just to get to the region) so doing the whale shark meant skipping Matnog if we wanted to stay just 3 days. Also, we ended up splurging a little by choosing to fly back from Legazpi instead of the long travel back to Manila by bus. So we bought our bus tickets from Cubao near Ali Mall to take us straight to Sorsogon City on a Thursday Night.

Day 0, Thursday: 8pm: travel  to Sorsogon City from Cubao
Day 1:
From the Sorsogon City bus terminal, we took a tricycle to take us to the town proper where Fernandos Hotel was located. After checking in, we freshened up, tried to get our bearings and ate our breakfast. Before lunch time, we were on our way to Bulusan Volcano National Park:
From Sorsogon City, take a jeepney bound for Gubat. Travel time is 30-45 minutes. From there, you should take a Bulusan-bound jeepney and get off at Bulusan public market. Travel time is about 30 minutes. Ask around as to where the terminal for jeepneys bound for Irosin are, these jeepneys passes by the entrance to the Park. Travel time is about 30 minutes. At the entrance we got a tricycle driver who offered to take us to and from the park and to our next destination which was Irosin hot springs. I forgot how much the fee he asked from us was but I believe considering the distance, it was reasonable (no more than PhP500 for all three of us). Also, it turned out to be a good offer from the driver since the distance between the entrance to the park and the lake was quite a distance in itself already. However, you could immediately feel the cool "forest floor" temperature once inside. 

We learned that the volcano is still quite a distance from the lake and that you have to camp the night if you wanted to be at the peak during sunrise. The water was green owing to the colors of the forests/trees surrounding the lake. You can kayak or hike around the lake (with a guide) for a fee which we ended up doing both. The kayak was harder in my opinion since we were exposed to the noon sun. My mom cheated as she got one of the guides to kayak for her while she sat with her umbrella. The place is just too beautiful and serene. However, there is not much choice when it comes to food so better if you plan for your lunch elsewhere, arrange it with someone or bring your own for picnics.



After spending some time kayaking and hiking we then headed off to Irosin for our very late lunch. We were definitely starving. The hired trike from Bulusan to Irosin took us probably an hour or so. We were all sleepy from the sleepless bus commute from the night before. I had to bear it though since I was seated at the back of the driver. I couldn't possibly afford to fall asleep there! 
that side mirror shot.

At last we got to our destination and first on our list was to eat. There was not much of a choice but all three of us: me, my mom and my sister loved the Bicol express!!!


The San Mateo hot and cold springs Resort don't look much and not too inviting but I suggest give it a chance and take a dip. You'd definitely realize why it was worth going to after all, at least that's what we felt. The water felt really clean and invigorating!


Going back, we just took a tricycle and some jeepneys to Sorsogon City. It's not too scary to ask people around as they are honest and helpful enough for directions. The good thing was the tricycle and jeepney rides going back to Sorsogon gave us a picturesque view of the country side with a glimpse of Mt. Bulusan.

view from the Bulusan park

No comments: