Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bloom where you are planted

While many may say high school was the best time during their younger years, mine would have to be college. I enjoyed college (and the years directly after it) more than I enjoyed high school. And a large part of it was because of my university, my peers/classmates who in turn became my closest friends and UP ALCHEMES. All others followed because of these three (i.e. UP PRIME and UP ESC). Amazing how the years have passed and now I am a proud alumna of this organization.

Looking back, my reasons for joining were just maybe to some shallow and random. Back then, the organization was very young and the underdog, the child born out of wedlock as one of my former professors said. Nonetheless, it is where I found what it's like to be a UP student, learning both in and outside of the classroom while having fun.

It doesn't really matter which organization you choose to belong to. There's always something good bound to happen whichever choice you make. It's about trying to "bloom where you are planted." Nonetheless, I am happy with the choice I made and I am very proud at how far this organization has come and is going. The culture and demographic seems to be changing than how I remembered it to be but I hope that the members will keep growing with it while still having fun. College starts to define who you are as you try and enter adulthood but that shouldn't hinder you from having fun. It is still that time to be making those mistakes and being carefree after all. And as the organization evolves, may it still continue to strive for excellence and make a difference.

Congratulations and more power UP ALCHEMES!


SHAPE lives of others. UP ALCHEMES. from Derek Baterisna on Vimeo.
Service is not just something we do...
Humility is not just something we practice...
Academics is not only being promoted...
Professionalism and Excellence are not just ways of life...

They are our CORE VALUES.


University of the Philippines
Academic League of Chemical Engineering Students (UP ALCHEMES)


*Music: 'Paperman' by Christophe Beck



No comments: