Saturday, June 23, 2012

Paradigm shift

Paradigm Shift.
"a change in the basic assumptions, or paradigms, within the ruling theory of science."
-from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm_shift

"a change from one way of thinking to another. It's a revolution, a transformation, a sort of metamorphosis. It just does not happen, but rather it is driven by agents of change."
-from http://www.taketheleap.com/define.html

This is a popular phrase for ChE students from the university mainly because one professor use this a lot in his ChE31 class. While I did not attend that class, the constant mention of this by friends and batchmates made an impression in my brain.
Fast forward, May 2012. I did not imagine that my manager after some discussion of the status of my long term site assignment would recommend this to help me get through the remaining months that I signed up for. At that time, I could not think of a way how this would happen because all there seemed to be left were trivial, unimportant things that I no longer value as much to drive me in another direction. Right now though, that is exactly what I went through. A huge paradigm shift. I don't hate this assignment as much and when I think about it my life is not as miserable as I had thought it was and would be. In fact, my life would have been more miserable if things did not happen. Things really do happen for a reason.
Sometimes, even if we think there is nothing that can get out to reorient ourselves, situations present themselves to help us do that - to undergo a paradigm shift. Like they say, it is just up to us to make lemonades out of lemons.

It's really more on perspective. One tree can look both small 
Early morning hike somewhere in Daesan.
 and towering depending on how you look at it.
Korea has islands too!
There's always a view and it's just a matter of looking for the better one. This is still subjective of course.

No comments: