Monday, November 24, 2014

Losing a passport

Never did it occur to me that I'd end up losing my passport at the airport. It's probably lucky that I realized that it went missing just some minutes or so and some distance away from where I would have lost it. You see, I realized it on the taxi on the way to the hotel and I definitely remember having it up until the immigration counter. There wasn't that many places to trace your steps and recall where you may have misplaced it.

I almost lost or thought I lost both my phone and camera back in Japan last August. Sure, it induced panic and a sense of loss on a personal level. Losing a passport was pretty much the same but it's not as easy to just try and let go. On the point of crying, you are prepared to take any steps to just try and recover it. For a drama queen like me, keeping my composure was tough. I travel alone many times for work and I may have gotten used to it so much I may have become complacent in some aspects already. However, with losing a passport you sort of lose your identity in the country you're visiting and you can't imagine not having one.

So apparently, when you do lose one, you have to file a police report. and then use that police report for checking-in temporarily until you visit your embassy so they can issue a temporary passport for you.. I'm not sure what would happen next after that as when I was just starting to draft the police report someone returned my passport at the information counter. Thank Goodness!!! Lucky day, even the police had to say so... I did ask them about the chances of recovering the passport (short of asking for the cctv footages). Guess the odds were in my favor... Thank you Lord!!


No comments: