Saturday, August 30, 2014

Misadventure in Fussa

This picture just about sums up the stressful-turned-amusing misadventure after visiting my cousin and her family at the Yokota air base. On the way back to Tokyo, I realized my phone was missing. Good thing we were just a station away so we went back. However, I didn't have my cousin's number so we didn't know how to reach her. We decided to just take a cab to the base and maybe try to get them to page her. It was only until then that I realized that my camera was also missing. This time I left it inside the toilet of Fussa station. I was so frustrated because I just bought the camera on credit for the Tokyo trip. Checking the toilet it wasn't there anymore but I've heard of stories about the honesty of Japanese people so I was hopeful and optimistic. Of course, I was scolding myself for being so absent-minded and losing both my phone and camera. Now, I can attest to the honesty and efficiency of the Japanese. My camera was promptly returned to the station master and I was able to claim it within 15+ minutes that I left it. 

And so we only had the phone to worry about. Thankfully there was no taxi and I just thought to hang out in starbucks, use the wifi there with my mom's ipad to get in touch with my cousin. Unfortunately, you can't use their wifi straight away and you have to register somewhere else with wifi first. I was beginning to panic and feel desperate. Desperate that I was devising of a way to approach an American with his macbook to get me to use it for a while. And then, my mom decided to rummage her bag and surprise surprise my phone was inside! What a way to end our vacation!

As they say, misadventures and mishaps make for an even more memorable experience. :)

No comments: